Below is a brief history of Java programming language creation in form of Q&A.
Who is a creator of Java language?
It was developed by two engineers at Sun Microsystems company:
- Patrick Naughton – head of an engineer group;
- James Gosling – member of board of directors and, as he is sometimes called, the versatile “computer wizard”.
What was the purpose of its creation?
Patrick Naughton and James Gosling worked on Green Project which purpose was to create a language to develop home appliances. What kind of home appliances? All kinds of them. For example, cable TV switchboxes.
- consume a small amount of energy (hence the code name of the project was “Green”);
- have small memory chips and, as a consequence, programs for them should be small as well. Moreover, their task was that once written code needed to be readable by any machine, instead of writing it for each device separately. C++ programming language didn’t serve this purpose well enough and they developed a new programming language, which was called Java.
Why was it called “Java”?
It is worth mentioning that at first this programming language had another, now unusual for us name.
Initially it was called “Oak”. The thing is, that there was an oak under a window of James Goslings office, which he liked a lot and after which he decided to name the new language.
As soon as Sun Microsystems company saw that the language was well-accepted and it can be made public, they decided to change the name, as another programming language had the same name. Moreover, they needed more sonorous, simply put more commercial name. That’s how the new name “Java” appeared.
So why was it called Java after all?
There are three main versions of why was the language called in this way:
Version 1. The first version is the most interesting. Programmers drink a lot of coffee. In the process of new language creation programmers drunk a sea of coffee and therefore decided to name the language after Java coffee variety.
Version 2. The name was given in honor of Java coffee, which in its turn was called after Java Island. This version has something in common with first one.
Version 3. As the new language was developed for home appliances, sometimes they connect it to reference to coffee machine as an example of the home appliance.
When was Java created?
- The programming language was released in 1991 titled Oak
- May 23, 1995 – official release under Java name
Who is the owner of Java now?
In 2009 Java language received a new owner as Sun Microsystems company was acquired by Oracle. Currently Oracle company is the owner of Java language.